Expectations

In 24 hours I will be sitting on a plane headed for Paris, then for Moscow. It feels very surreal, mostly because I've been sitting in orientation meetings all day. But I've very excited to be finally heading to Russia!

As I've been reflecting on going abroad and what that means, I've been thinking a lot about expectations. You know how when you go to a gas station or a Walmart, you always know where to find the soda. You always know that the milk will probably be at the back of the store. There are a lot of reasons for this, including marketing.

But this got me thinking about how within our own culture we know how to navigate quickly and smoothly without thinking anything of it. This is probably not going to be the case when I get to Russia. What if I can't find the shampoo, and accidentally buy two containers of conditioner? Where do I find olives since there is almost certainly no "Mexican Food" isle in a Russian grocery store? Will there even be a normal (to me) grocery store where I'm going?

I will have to get used to new ways of doing things. I'll also have to get used to not feeling in my comfort zone and being open to things being different. No matter how prepared I am there will still be so many things that I have to adjust to.

Maybe the soda and milk will still be where I expect, but there will certainly be many things that will not be the same. I'm looking forward to seeing the similarities and differences and reporting back.

Comments

  1. Anonymous25/1/17 23:13

    Russians can be impassive and even dismissive in public, but when you are lost or confused they light up and show their warm and friendly side. These little pieces of confusion may be the key that unlocks the door for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts